Phone: 01926 356356
File photo dated 02/01/08 of a plane coming in to land at Gatwick Airport, as the airport celebrates its 80th anniversary of its first flight.
Richard Lonsdale

Richard Lonsdale

25 years in recruitment - the last 13 years in the Veterinary sector.

Working in the U.K.

Only veterinary surgeons registered with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons can practise veterinary medicine in the UK.  To find out if you are eligible for registration and how to register with the RCVS please visit:  Veterinary surgeons applying for registration are asked to contact the RCVS at least 8 weeks before starting work in the UK. This is to allow enough time to complete the registration process.   

Registering with the RCVS

You will need to pay a fee to the RCVS and supply certified copies of the requested documentation.  Once the RCVS is satisfied that the documents are complete, you will be invited to a personal registration appointment at the RCVS offices in London. Your registration appointment will be sent to you within 2 weeks of the RCVS receiving your documents.  

Typically, the appointments are held on Tuesdays and Fridays and there are usually around 6 sessions each month.  The full list can be seen on the RCVS website here. The RCVS offices are contactable here:

Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
Belgravia House
62- 64 Horseferry Road 

T 020 7222 2001
F 020 7222 2004  

Working with Medicus Vets

Once you have started the registration process and you are aware of your registration appointment, Medicus can let you know about all suitable opportunities.  It’s likely that you will not have any experience of working in the UK so all clients will need to see references and skills assessments.  

We recommend that you gather written references from people who can comment on your clinical skills and those who can speak for you personally.

If you haven’t complete the Medicus skills assessments online, please do this now here.   

The ability to communicate in English is fundamental and there are many examination boards including: IELTSCambridge English It may be advisable to arrange some time “seeing practice” in the UK.  This period of unpaid experience will demonstrate that you are serious about working in the UK. It will also prove very valuable for you to understand the generally acceptable procedures and policies in use in the UK practices. Being able to communicate and being registered with the RCVS does not remove the need for you to have the right to live and work in the UK.  More information regarding this topic, please visit the UK Visas & Immigration website here.

If you require Visa sponsorship to work in the UK we are recruiting for a number of Veterinary Practices that have Tier 2 approved sponsor places available. To find out more, please contact our team here.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *